A: For our lunch meeting with the investors, do we have to make a reservation at the restaurant or do we just show up?
B: Usually for lunch, we don"t have to reserve a table, they should allow walk-ins. But to be on the safe side, I"ll order a table for half-past twelve. Will that suit your schedule?
A: I"ve arranged to meet them at the restaurant at twelve. Can you make the reservation a little earlier? If we start earlier, it will give us more time for a longer lunch.
B: Are you planning on treating the investors to a full-course meal?
A: Yes, we"ll start with appetizers, follow with a soup and salad course, then main dishes of prime rib or cordon bleu chicken, and finish up with a delicious rich dessert of some sort.
B: That"ll be pretty heavy for a mid-day meal, don"t you think?
A: As along as we stay away from anything alcoholic, we should be okay.
B: With your prime rib and chicken choices, you"d better hope nobody"s vegetarian.
A: We can make some special arrangement if we need to. After all, it"s the company who is footing the bill.
A: Okay, here are the graphs and figures for this month"s sales. Let"s review them all together.
B: This first one , I have a question.... This graph is marking the sales perfomance for our line of hair products, right? Can this line be right? It looks like our salesplummeted. I can"t believe we did that poorly.... If I remember correctly, sales went down slightly, but not as dramatically as the graph shows.
A: I think you are looking at the wrong line. The rapid drop in sales wasn"t our hair products. You are correct, the hair product sales decreased slightly, but not dramatically. The one that didn"t do so hot this month was the cleaning products. I think there was a problem in the marketing plan. Some people were offended by our advertisements for the cleaning products, but it was already too late tomitigatethe damage, so our mistake shows up in the sales.
B: Well, the good news is the new industrial cleaning products reallytook off. Look how the sales haveshot upover the last two weeks.
A: That is our one major success. If you look at the other graphs, you can see that most of the other product lines remained steady with little increase.
B: At lease they stayed the same. That"s better than dropping.
Plummet: to fall suddenly and quickly from a high level or position 暴跌;速降
Share prices plummeted to an all-time low. 股票价格暴跌到历史最低点.
Her spirits plummeted at the thought of meeting him again. 一想到又要见到他,她的心情便直往下沉.
The jet plummeted into a row of houses. 那架喷气式飞机一头栽进一排房子里.
Mitigate: to make something less harmful, serious, etc. 减轻;缓和
action to mitigate poverty 减轻贫穷的行动
Soil erosion was mitigated by the planting of trees. 植树造林减轻了土壤侵蚀.
Take off: (of an idea, a product, etc. 观念、产品等) to become successful or popular very quickly or suddenly 突然大受欢迎;迅速流行
The new magazine has really taken off. 这份新杂志真是大受欢迎.
Her singing career took off after her TV appearance. 她在电视上亮相后歌唱事业迅速起飞.
Shoot up: to rise suddenly by a large amount 陡增;猛涨;迅速上升
Ticket prices shot up last year. 去年票价猛涨.
M: Can you have the briefs from the Anderson firm"s lawyer on my desk by tomorrow morning. There are quite a few very time sensitive matters with this case. I"m afraid I can"t wait any longer.
F: Getting those Anderson briefs has been harder than you can imagine. I have tried to contact their lawyer many times. But every time I call, his secretary says he’s in a meeting or out of the office or away on business. I am beginning to think he is trying to avoid me.
M: That"s highly possible. He knows if we miss our filing deadline, we don’t stand a chance to compete against them for the bid. Try to get a hold of him again. Give him a call and see if he can fax them first thing.
F: What if I can"t speak to him directly?
M: Ask his secretary to fax them. Its the same thing. Have them faxed over with a copy also faxed to Martin’s office.
F: How do I find Martin’s fax number? Is he in your rollerdesk?
M: No, but you can also call their office and ask the secretary to give you their fax number. I’ll email you their office number later today.
F: Ok, I"ll get on it first thing.
M: Be sure you do, I need those briefs ASAP
M:Did you put this morning"s faxes on my desk?I"m waiting for some urgent faxes from headquaters,I"m pretty sure they came in last night.
F:Evething that came in the office fax machine last night is all on your desk,but I noticed that some of faxes came through pretty blurred,maybe you take a look at them,if the copy is unreadble,I"ll call then and ask them to refax.
M:Yeah,you"re going to have to call them and get them to be refax. These copies are so dark. I can"t make out any of the words.
F:What about that one?
M:This one?This one is so light and I can barely read it. How can that be?
F:You know, I think the fax machine is out of toner. I can change the toner cartridge. That should solve the problem.
M:Yes,but this one will have to be refaxed as well. And look, there"s about 3 pages missing. It looks like the fax machine ate half of my important faxes,and ones that made it through are so blurred or too light. They are unreadable.
F:I guess the fax machine is out of paper too. Don"t worry,I"ll have someone look at it this afternoon,and in the meantime,I"ll have your documents refaxed to our other fax machine.
1.Having had your name and address from the Commercial Counselor""s office of the Embassy of the People""s Republic of China in……， we now avail ourselves of this opportunity to write to you and see if we can establish business relations by a start of some Practical transactions.
2. We have heard from China Council for the Promotion of International Trade that you are in the market for Electric Appliances.
3. Your name has been recommended to us by the Chinese Consul stationed in your city as large exporters of …… goods produced in ……
4. From ……， we have obtained your name and address and understand that you are experienced importers of …… We have pleasure in offering you …… of which we would appreciate your pushing the sale on your market.
5. We learn from …… that your firm specializes in ……， and would like to establish business relationship with you.
6. Through the courtesy of…… we have learned that you are one of the representative importers of ……
7. Your name and address has been given to us by Messrs. J. Smith & Co.， Inc.， in New York， who have informed us that your firm has been recommended to us by the Chamber of Commerce in Tokyo， Japan.
9. The…… Bank in your city has been kind enough to inform us that you are one of the leading importers (exporters) of …… and are interested in trading with China in these lines ……
10. We are given to understand that you are potential buyers of Chinese ……，which comes within the frame of our business activities.
11. Through your trade delegation that recently paid a visit to this country， we learned that you are well-established importers of …… and are writing to you in the hope of receiving your orders from time to time.
12. We are glad to send you this introductory letter， hoping that it will be the prelude to mutually beneficial relations between us.
13. We have the Pleasure to introduce ourselves to you with the hope that we may have an opportunity of cooperating with you in your business extension.
14. We take the liberty of writing to you with a view to building up business relations with your firm.
15. We wish to introduce ourselves to you as a state operated corporation dealing exclusively in Light Industrial Goods.
16. As you may be well aware， we are a state-operated corporation handling such items as …… in both import and export business
17.This is a quality product.
18.Those overcoats are of good quality and nice colour.
19.Our quartz technique is well known in the world， and we believe our watches are of fine quality.
20.Our price is a little bit higher， but the quality of our products is better.
21.Your goods are superior in quality compared with those of other manufacturers.
22.The equipment are of good quality and very useful.
23.Our products are very good in quality， and the price is low.
24.We have received the goods you send us， the quality is excellent.
25.We"ve received the sample which you sent us last Sunday.
26.We"ve got here our sales samples Type 1. and Type 2.
27.Our quality is based solely on our sales samples.
28.We sell goods as per the sales sample， not the quality of any previous supplies.
29.You know we sell our tea according to our samples.
30.You can see the difference between these grades.
31.These two grades are very much in demand.
32.We are in urgent need of these two grades.
33.The colour of the shipment is much darker than that of your previous consignment.
34.No doubt you"ve received the outturn samples of the inferior quality goods.
35.I must advise you of the specifications of the goods.
36.Have you received the specifications as shown in our catalog?
37.The quality is all right， but the style is a bit outdated.
38.We found the goods didn"t agree with the original patterns.
39.The “Double Fish” brand is not so bad， the design is fresh and vivid.
40.The new varieties have very vivid designs and beautiful colors.
41.We"re here to discuss the trade marks of your products.
42.I"m looking for insurance from your company.
43.Mr. Zhang met Mr. William in the office of the People" Insurance Company of China.
44.After loading the goods on board the hip， I go to the insurance company to have them insured.
45.When should I go and have the tea insured?
46.All right. Let"s leave insurance now.
47.I have come to explain that unfortunate affair about the insurance.
48.I must say that you"ve corrected my ideas about the insurance.
49.This information office provides clients with information on cargo insurance.
50.The underwriters are responsible for the claim as far as it is within the scope of cover.